Resetting the Lamp Timer on a Toshiba DLP 52HM84
I recently had my second DLP replacement bulb(not including the original OEM lamp) blow this evening. The self-respecting tech that I am, I was aware of the diagnostics mode and thus wanted to confirm the lifetime of this lamp (I’d been expecting it to die for quite some time), and I was pleased to find it reached nearly 8700 hours, which is almost twice what the last two lamps lived through.
However, in order to keep accurate future track of my most recent bulb replacement, I knew I must reset the lamp life timer. I have done this at least twice before, and every time I do it, I think to myself “Self, you should document this for future reference”. And I do. And then promptly forget where I document it. This time I’m putting it where I think I’ll remember it. Online.
First, to get into diagnostics mode:
With TV turned on:
- Press "mute" on the remote – 1/2 mute appears on the screen
- Press "mute" on the remote again – mute appears on the screen
- Press "mute" on the remote and hold the mute button –
- Press the "Menu" button on the TV’s front panel. "S" will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Press the "Menu" button a second time and the "S" will disappear. On the left side of the screen you will see "RCUT" followed by two numbers.
You are now in the service mode (this is where you can scroll through the options using the up and down channel keys shown above).
- Press "9" on the remote and you will access the diagnostics page. In the right hand corner is the lamp time in hours.
- Press “Recall” on the remote, followed by “Volume Down” on the TV to reset the timer. You may need to press the “Volume Down” button twice.
- Press "power" button on remote to exit the menu and power off the TV.
I ought to remember it this time.